3-Day Introduction to Private Household Management
9th - 11th September 2014 | Somerset | £1,500 Plus VAT
This course is designed for those wishing to enter private household management, or who have just entered this field and wish to grasp the building blocks in order to progress quickly in their career. Whether you work (or wish to work) in an historic house, modern estate or super yacht, this course will help you understand the principals and foundations of luxury service skills and management.
Day One - 11.00am start
Answering the door, telephone, computer and social skills
Uniform, grooming and appearance
Etiquette and interface for principals and guests
Managing a private household
• Definition of management
• The role of the House Manager
• Managing your team – stress and time management, expectations, motivational skills
• The law – money, security, risk management
• Managing events and multiple properties
Basic kitchen management skills
• Menu planning, procurement and budgets for the private household
• Online ordering and inventory management
• Hygiene, food safety, storage and cleaning
Internal rolling programmes
Inventory procurement and management
Household systems and manuals
• Employment – pay, accommodation and expectations
• Roles and responsibilities within different households
• Skills and how to create a CV
• Getting and keeping the job – do’s and don’ts, contracts, mentoring
Health & safety, fire procedures
Day Two - 10.00am start
Housekeeping – general organisation, schedules & household information
• Household standards
• Household systems (The white board, the red book, daily graces)
• Definitions, housekeeping, housecleaning, deep-cleaning
• Cleaning products and tools
• Cleaning skills
• Dressing a room
• Symbols and care
• The linen cupboard
• Basic cleaning techniques
• Common pitfalls
• Storage, care and presentation of towels
• Preparing for guests
• Cleaning techniques, daily graces
• Preparing for guests/little things that make a difference for luxury
• After the guest leaves
• Storage and care of bedlinens
• Valet skills: how to store and hang clothes
• How to pack a suitcase
• Evening turndown
Day Three - 10.00am start
Laying a fire
The care, storage and movement of antiques and fine art
What is Butler service?
The tea tray, coffee tray and calling tray
The dining room
• Setting the table
• Different types of service
• Calling trays, coffee and tea trays
• Drinks trays and canapés
• The protocol of the dining room
• Organisation of the dinner party
• The service and storage of wine – basic skills
• Pairing food & wines
• The care of silver, glass and china
The formal dinner
• Formal service
• Cocktails, wines and liqueurs
• The Cheese Board, Puddings, Savouries and Petits Fours
• Passing the Port
Evaluation and hardware assessment exercise
Practical tests of knowledge
After the course...
Following the training, we can help submit the CVs of successful students to our renowned network of agencies and employers around the world. The English Manner is well known in the luxury service industry as the leader in staff training and we are always happy to provide a reference for our students. We can also offer legal advice on contracts via top employment lawyer Andrew Hodge.
The course takes place in rural Somerset, only a few miles from Taunton, in a beautiful Grade 2 listed Georgian house, typical of English architecture and décor.
£1,500 per person, plus VAT. (group discounts available).
11.00am start for Day One, 10.00am start for Days 2 & 3. 5pm finish all days.
Successful students will be presented at the end of course with a certificate of attendance
Just outside of Taunton, Somerset
Tutors: William Hanson & Barbara Allred
Lunch & morning and afternoon refreshments included in the price
Accommodation not included although preferential rates available at very good local B&B (see below)
Please see our Terms & Conditions before registering.
We are pleased to be able to offer a preferential rate at a very good local B&B for our students. It is a 20 minute drive from the course venue and we can provide a shuttle service to and from upon request. Breakfast is included in the price of accommodation.
What the students say...
"I was made redundant in my previous job at the start of the year and decided upon a change of career direction and was quickly employed as a private household manager/nanny. I signed up for this course in order to learn some of the many refined skills and lessons in household management to push myself and be the best in the new role. My tutors were William Hanson and Barbara Allred and they were both full of helpful tips and anecdotes throughout the course. They complemented each other perfectly and had the patience to let us practice each element and question it as we went. I learnt everything from how to dress a room, make a bed and iron a shirt through to how to pack a suitcase, clean antiques and even how to greet guests at the door - all such valuable skills throughout this course and I now understand the importance of my role; I absolutely love my current position as a result." Jo from Cambridge - May 2013